couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Data loss
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:43:22 GMT

On 8 Aug 2010, at 21:24, Noah Slater wrote:

> What you are suggesting isn archival of the release, which means removing it from the
downloads page, the distribution directory, and the mirrors. I can do this, but I'd like to
know that we have consensus first. The plan as I understood it was to archive this release
at the same time as making the 1.0.1 release.

I'd like to follow that plan.

Cheers
Jan
--

> On 8 Aug 2010, at 20:21, Robert Dionne wrote:
>
>> I would also consider removing the download link for 1.0.0 and not depend on users
patching it. It's broken.

>> I have to believe there are users who won't and who won't read the red sign. There's
a good probability these are the kinds of users who will also be the most upset by data loss

to move the document from this wiki location to the http://couchdb.apache.org site before
the end of the day. Please review and edit the document before then.

the error and the fix. I'm hoping Adam or Randall can write this, as they are most familiar
with the issues.

>>> I made a few more minor adjustments (see page history when you are logged in)
and have nothing more to add myself, but I'd appreciate if Adam or Randall could add a few
more tech bits.

>>> --
>>>
>>> In the meantime, I've put up a BIG FAT WARNING on the CouchDB downloads page:

>>> http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html
>>>
>>> I plan to update the warning with a link to the post-mortem once that is done.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thanks everybody for being on top of this!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Jan
>>> --

after the fact. It's probably up to use to decide what to do.

to release a new version and deprecate the old one, while optionally keeping it around for
posterity.

the 1.0.0 release off of the downloads page, etc.

the issue and the remedy, as well as digging into how we can prevent this sort of thing in
the future.

of the weekend, with very clear steps to remedy it. (Eg: config delayed_commits to false *without
restarting the server* etc)