couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: export control notice - multiview
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 04:22:11 GMT

On Jul 28, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Norman Barker wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I work for ITT VIS and we would really like to give this multiview for
> consideration by the community (as well as other patches). I have
> passed this to our legal dept and they would like us to follow
> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html, I believe this has already been
> followed since Damien has his name on the XML below as PMC chair.
> Whatever procedure Damien followed should be documented so that other
> US companies can contribute. I believe that all is sufficient is a
> paper trail to show that the necessary govt depts have been notified
> about cryptography (in this case SSL) components in the software.
>
> This is a complicated area, and you really don't want a fine (see
> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6712/is_58_233/ai_n29340678/),
> so if a procedure should be established within couchdb. If covered by
> Apache politics then great, my code will be up asap, but it needs
> confirmation by the PMC of CouchDB and a documented way of forking on
> github.

Are you suggesting that any company that shares patches (even ones like yours, completely
unrelated to any SSL functionality) needs to be listed on the XML document? I think that is
false.

The document at http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html says that only a PMC member needs to
be listed.

It seems that most (all?) of the projects listed in

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/xdocs/licenses/exports/index.xml

have only a single contact.

I think part of the point of the ASF is to handle these issues on a collective basis so that
folks like us can just write code.

I'm glad that you are looking at the issue carefully, and if you think I'm misunderstanding
it, please correct me.

Chris

> Norman
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 28, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Norman Barker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Volker,
>>>
>>> thanks for letting me know, in that case can we have clarification
>>> from someone on the PMC?
>>>
>>> This is a serious issue for US companies wanting to contribute to Couch.
>>>

>> Thanks Norman,
>>
>> It's my understanding that we have this all nicely managed via the Apache policies.
>>
>> Could you elaborate on your specific concerns?
>>
>> I think you can just fork http://github.com/apache/couchdb, make your changes in
your local fork, and then email the list with the URL for your topic branch.

>> Once the community has given feedback on your work, it should be submitted to the
project as a patch via Jira, so that you can check off the appropriate Apache License checkbox:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB