couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Barker <norman.bar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: export control notice - multiview
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 03:55:30 GMT
Hi Chris,

I work for ITT VIS and we would really like to give this multiview for
consideration by the community (as well as other patches). I have
passed this to our legal dept and they would like us to follow
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html, I believe this has already been
followed since Damien has his name on the XML below as PMC chair.
Whatever procedure Damien followed should be documented so that other
US companies can contribute. I believe that all is sufficient is a
paper trail to show that the necessary govt depts have been notified
about cryptography (in this case SSL) components in the software.

This is a complicated area, and you really don't want a fine (see
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6712/is_58_233/ai_n29340678/),
so if a procedure should be established within couchdb. If covered by
Apache politics then great, my code will be up asap, but it needs
confirmation by the PMC of CouchDB and a documented way of forking on
github.

Norman

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Norman Barker wrote:
>
>> Hi Volker,
>>
>> thanks for letting me know, in that case can we have clarification
>> from someone on the PMC?
>>
>> This is a serious issue for US companies wanting to contribute to Couch.
>>

> Thanks Norman,
>
> It's my understanding that we have this all nicely managed via the Apache policies.
>
> Could you elaborate on your specific concerns?
>
> I think you can just fork http://github.com/apache/couchdb, make your changes in your
local fork, and then email the list with the URL for your topic branch.

as a patch via Jira, so that you can check off the appropriate Apache License checkbox: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB