couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: delayed_commits false
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 01:56:54 GMT
I had started a page to capture the nuances of these settings at
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Durability_Matrix but never finished
it. It's possible some of the prose could be reshaped into a concise
summary of the difficult balancing act we're attempting here.

For what it's worth, I'd prefer to keep this setting as-is for 1.0.
Having several 'durability profiles' to choose from would be very
neat, though, and displaying the current profile prominently in Futon
should convey the message far better than docs or wiki. Consider how
often the 'admin party' text gets people thinking about locking down
their server...

B.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe the thing to do is to put a note about this config item somewhere
>>> prominent in Futon. The Configuration page is obvious, but not prominent
>>> enough.
>>>

> I've got a nice little paragraph sitting on the config page in Futon (good enough, I
think)

> For the strongest consistency guarantees, <tt>delayed_commits</tt> should
for single-user performance. For more details see the CouchDB wiki on Delayed Commits.

> The only issue is that there is no such wiki page (or at least I can't find one.)
>
> Anyone care to summarize the full-commit tradeoff in a user-friendly way? If you are
up for doing that, but aren't up to editing the wiki, even just replying to this thread with
the language would be helpful, and then I can put the page up and I'll add this documentation
to trunk for 1.0