couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <>
Subject Re: delayed_commits false
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:37:56 GMT

On Jul 6, 2010, at 4:13 PM, Robert Dionne wrote:

> Perhaps it's a matter of documentation. Most users aren't going to think about the finer
points of fsync and so forth, but will care about perceived out of the box performance.
> However there will be scenarios where ACID will matter very much and good documentation
will help these users make the tradeoff. I think a key point is that users who do care are
not harmed by the defaults.

My general theory (extrapolating from my own behavior) is that no one reads documentation.

Maybe the thing to do is to put a note about this config item somewhere prominent in Futon.
The Configuration page is obvious, but not prominent enough.

I agree we shouldn't change the default right before 1.0, but it wouldn't be hard to slip
a note or warning into Futon, with perhaps a link to a wiki page.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas about the best place to put this note?

View raw message