couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: make_replication_id excludes port.
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:44:18 GMT
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 16:37, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure there's a reason ("%% funky algorithm to preserve backwards
> compatibility") but I wonder if this could be re-examined? It worries
> me that testing multiple couchdb instances locally behaves differently
> (actually, incorrectly) than testing multiple couchdb instances on
> real, separate hosts.

Nevermind "real, separate hosts". There's no reason one shouldn't be
able to run multiple couches on the same host and not confuse the
replicator!

It will complicate the logic a bit, but I think we can keep it fairly
clean with an make_replication_id_old function or some such thing. If
the new id (including port) isn't found, the old one can be checked to
load the history, and saved under the new name going forward. This
process ensures that old checkpoints aren't lost, though old couch
instances that replicate with new ones will not see the new
checkpoints.

-Randall