couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anything else for 1.0? (Was: Re: New code goes into trunk)
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:59:46 GMT
I'd really like to sort out the situation with resource limits.

My patch to allow setting a larger mochiweb connection limit was
committed (COUCHDB-705), but currently there's no easy user story for
increasing things like ERL_MAX_PORTS. I'd also be nice if we could
allow people to pass arbitrary flags to the vm. For example, I only
recently discovered how nice the +A option is. Unfortunately, the
solution I have in production to avoid clobbering the init script is
to have the couchdb user use bash as a login shell and export
ERL_MAX_PORTS and ERL_ZFLAGS in .bash_profile. I think this is a
really hackish thing to do to a daemon.

COUCHDB-590 has been sitting idle for quite some time. I recently
discovered /etc/security/limits.conf and so I closed it as invalid and
distro specific. With that taken care of all we really need is
ERL_MAX_PORTS.

rnewson suggested I look at ejabberd. I found that they source
/etc/default/ejabberd in /usr/sbin/ejabberd. Couch doesn't do this,
which I actually sort of like, because it lets you launch couch by
hand without grabbing all those variables.

I'm thinking that anything after a "--" could be passed straight to
erlang, which covers flags like +A <n>. But how should one set an
arbitrary environment for couch? I'd be fine with something like
/etc/couchdb/environment which gets sourced by bin/couchdb.

Thoughts? I think it'd be unfortunate if this story wasn't sorted out
before 1.0.