couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <>
Subject Re: Anything else for 1.0? (Was: Re: New code goes into trunk)
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:01:17 GMT
Oh! So now I feel silly. I'm quite sorry for the noise, Noah. You have found
the source of my confusion. Somehow I didn't really know the distinction
between shell variables and environment variables[1]. No wonder I was
frustrated trying to follow you...

The su man page didn't help with its -m flag. That's what sent me off track.

All clear now. Just needed to export it.

On Jun 17, 2010 3:43 AM, "Noah Slater" <> wrote:

On 17 Jun 2010, at 01:57, Randall Leeds wrote:

> Okay. My issue here stems from the fact that I do...
If you put this:

       export ERL_MAX_PORTS=1024

Into this:

Then running this:

       /etc/init.d/couchdb start

Would pick up the value in the first example, and pass it to Erlang.

So as far as I know, the CouchDB daemon is already configurable in the
manner you describe. If the above does not work, then it should, and that is
a bug. If you're not wanting to use the standard init system for CouchDB,
then you are on your own in terms of setting up the correct environment for
whatever system you have designed.