couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anything else for 1.0? (Was: Re: New code goes into trunk)
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:07:59 GMT
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 16:52, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2010, at 23:59, Randall Leeds wrote:
>
>> I'd really like to sort out the situation with resource limits.
>>
>> My patch to allow setting a larger mochiweb connection limit was
>> committed (COUCHDB-705), but currently there's no easy user story for
>> increasing things like ERL_MAX_PORTS. I'd also be nice if we could
>> allow people to pass arbitrary flags to the vm. For example, I only
>> recently discovered how nice the +A option is. Unfortunately, the
>> solution I have in production to avoid clobbering the init script is
>> to have the couchdb user use bash as a login shell and export
>> ERL_MAX_PORTS and ERL_ZFLAGS in .bash_profile. I think this is a
>> really hackish thing to do to a daemon.
>
> Why can't we just use /etc/defaults/couchdb for this?

We can. Currently the init script sources that and passes the relevant
options directly. I'd be +1 on having the init script call couch much
more blindly and let /usr/bin/couchdb deal with sourcing the defaults.
This would obviate the need for passing arguments to erlang because
ERL_(A|Z)?FLAGS could be used instead.
I can write this if you don't have time, but your sh-fu is probably
better than mine.