couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <>
Subject Re: Anything else for 1.0? (Was: Re: New code goes into trunk)
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:38:37 GMT

On 17 Jun 2010, at 01:07, Randall Leeds wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 16:52, Noah Slater <> wrote:
>> On 16 Jun 2010, at 23:59, Randall Leeds wrote:
>>> I'd really like to sort out the situation with resource limits.
>>> My patch to allow setting a larger mochiweb connection limit was
>>> committed (COUCHDB-705), but currently there's no easy user story for
>>> increasing things like ERL_MAX_PORTS. I'd also be nice if we could
>>> allow people to pass arbitrary flags to the vm. For example, I only
>>> recently discovered how nice the +A option is. Unfortunately, the
>>> solution I have in production to avoid clobbering the init script is
>>> to have the couchdb user use bash as a login shell and export
>>> ERL_MAX_PORTS and ERL_ZFLAGS in .bash_profile. I think this is a
>>> really hackish thing to do to a daemon.
>> Why can't we just use /etc/defaults/couchdb for this?
> We can. Currently the init script sources that and passes the relevant
> options directly. I'd be +1 on having the init script call couch much
> more blindly and let /usr/bin/couchdb deal with sourcing the defaults.
> This would obviate the need for passing arguments to erlang because
> ERL_(A|Z)?FLAGS could be used instead.
> I can write this if you don't have time, but your sh-fu is probably
> better than mine.

-1 on that.

The /etc/defaults/couchdb file is specifically for the init system.

You can pass arbitrary flags to Erlang using the ERL_FLAGS environment variable. The script
takes special care to make sure that Erlang shares its environment. If you have a specific
set of flags you wish to call as standard, and you don't wish to use the init.d system, then
I would advise that you create a wrapper script for your particular use case.

View raw message