couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Designer add-on for Futon
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:31:23 GMT

On May 31, 2010, at 7:47 AM, mickael.bailly@free.fr wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> now that I created the Jira ticket, please tell me if I can be of any help in getting
this integrated in CouchDB.

> Mickael

I think this add-on if freaking rad. But... I'm not sure it's within the mission of Futon
to do all this.

This editor would make an ideal CouchApp, and then it could be replicated around, maintain
user preferences as database state, etc.

If you want to scale back your efforts to make the smallest possible patch that can work,
I'd suggest a patch that just integrates Bespin with the existing view code editor. Once that
works reliably, you can work your way up to adding more features like those present in your
add-on.

I don't want to discourage you from contributing. Code like what you've written is very important
for CouchDB. It's just that it is much easier to integrate smaller patches that don't add
major surface area to the project.

So I'd suggest, if you want to do the large ambitious thing, make it a CouchApp. But I'd love
to see Bespin in the view editor, so if you can make that a targeted small patch, we'll be
happy to see it.

Chris

Stockholm / Vienne
> Objet: Re: Designer add-on for Futon
>

> On 19 May 2010, at 09:05, mickael.bailly@free.fr wrote:
>
>> For now I've uploaded it on github : http://github.com/dready92/futon-designer
>> I really don't think it's really for prime-time, so opening a JIRA request seems
too early for me...?

>> I kept the designer "workflow" separate from the database.html/document.html page
for a reason : bespin=canvas=html5, and that's not supported in every browser. IMHO it's better
to have a "strong admin interface" that can run in any browser, and my present code that is
more a "cool thing" than something the couch users can't live without. My next proposal proposal
would have been to make a "switch to designer" button  appear on the database.html page if
the current browser support html5....