couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New code goes into trunk
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:24:12 GMT
On Jun 13, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2010, at 23:45, J Chris Anderson wrote:
>

>> On Jun 5, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
>>
>>> I've only been merging bugfixes into 0.11.x for a long time now.  I think I committed
a number of things into trunk related to JIRA tickets with a Fix Version of 1.1.

>> I've been reviewing the diff between trunk and 0.11.x -- I can't find anything that
shows up in the diff that shouldn't be in 1.0. I'm happy to recommend that we cut 1.0 from
trunk.

>> I'd like it if others could repeat the exercise and see if they agree with me. There
are some things that cover a lot of code (the couch_util:get_value patch and the base64 changes,
for instance) which aren't at risk of creating bugs and will only make it harder to backport
to 1.0 if we don't put them in the 1.0 release.

>> I don't have much opinion about what should go into 0.11.x from trunk, but that's
a different topic.

> I got it all solved and have 0.11.x merged up all right.
>
> In the process I found I had a faulty backport in there.
>
> See my work here: http://github.com/janl/couchdb/tree/0.11.x-monster-fix
>
> This is mostly reverting and reapplying in correct order patches to trunk into 0.11.x.
>
> I'm happy to commit that as soon as I get a green light.
>
> While going through all the commits, there are  a few more where I agree with Chris that
I'd like to backport before branching 1.0 from 0.11.x but I think we should go ahead as planned
and branch 1.0.x from 0.11.x.

> trunk will then be 1.1.x.
>
> Go?
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

The 0.11 branch still feels weird to me.  I thought commits on release branches were supposed
to be bugfixes only.  With 0.11.x the criteria seem to be

1) bugfixes
2) anything committed to trunk by Damien
3) anything else needed to make 2) merge cleanly

If 1.0 is supposed to be 0.11 + bugfixes + Damien's work, rather than 0.11 + bugfixes, shouldn't
we have a /branches/1.0.x for that?

Regardless, the important thing is that the codebase for 1.0 is stable and working.  Jan's
0.11.x-monster-fix satisfies that.  Good work!

Adam