couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: scalability of couchdb
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 15:07:29 GMT
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Matteo Redaelli
<matteo.redaelli@gmail.com>wrote:

> Many thanks Till for your answer
>
> Yes I could move view files changing the configuration file or using
> symbolic links...
>
> But the problem is the size of the DB: having all the db in a SINGLE file
> is
> quite a limited solution.. not very scalable...
> it would be nice that the data of any couchdb database was distributed in
> several folders (that could be several file systems in a unix/linux box)

Hi Matteo,

Just submitted a patch yesterday that does that:

Basically it allows you to have several directories where DBs reside (also
allows compaction to occur in a different directory). I would like to do the
same for view indexes, but I'm waiting for approval of that patch. If it
doesn't get approved, one for view indexes is likely to not be approved as
well.

> Regards
> Matteo.
>

> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM, till <till@php.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Matteo Redaelli
> > <matteo.redaelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I currectly use couchdb as repository for my the Ebot project (
> > > http://www.redaelli.org/matteo-blog/projects/ebot/). My db is getting
> > more
> > > and more bigger..
> > >
> > >   rw-r-r— 1 couchdb  81099821870 2010-05-23 ebot.couch
> > >   rw-r-r— 1 couchdb  392589468 2010-05-23  .ebot_design
> > >
> > > For better scalability it would be better that
> > >
> > > 1) couchdb wrote data not only to one single file but to different
> files
> > > DIFFERENT directories: in this way it would be easier to add new
> devices,
> > > file systems ...
> > > 2) couchdb distributed (non only replicated) data among several
> > instances.
> > > like Riak and other NOSQL databases
> > >
> > > Do you think that these 2 features could be implemented in the next
> near
> > > future? or are they out of the scope of couchdb project?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Hi Matteo,
> >
> > you should try CouchDB-Lounge for your setup. It's not yet as smooth
> > as riak or cassandra do partitioning (and auto-balancing, etc.) but it
> > should get you started as well.
> >
> > Further reading:
> > http://tilgovi.github.com/couchdb-lounge/
> > http://groups.google.com/group/couchdb-lounge
> >

> http://till.klampaeckel.de/blog/archives/84-A-toolchain-for-CouchDB-Lounge.html
> >
> > CouchDB-Lounge is nginx, a twistd daemon and several CouchDB servers
> > which can all run on the same server, of course. It'll help you
> > utilize all the resources until you outgrow your current server and
> > then it's trivial to move a couple of your shards to another one and
> > spread it out.
> >
> > CouchDB-Lounge currently doesn't do auto-balancing which is useful if
> > you want to add another server to your cluster. Instead the proposal
> > is to overshard (run more CouchDB instances than you need on the same
> > server) or add another lounge to the cluster and partition "behind"
> > it.
> >
> > If you're running into space issues right now it helps to move the
> > views (.ebot_*) to another disk and configure view_index_dir in your
> > local.ini.
> >
> > Hope that helps!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Till