couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query server protocol/view server questions
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 13:08:16 GMT
Hi Dirkjan,

On 22/05/2010 6:10 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:

> 1. On the wiki someone asks if the reduce values are guaranteed to be
> passed in-order, and I'd be interested to hear that, too.
> 2. Relatedly, are the keys passed guaranteed to be a contiguous block?
> If not, why not?

IIUC, couch declines to make any such promises regardless of the current
implementation.  It is required that reduce functions be not only
"referentially transparent, but it must also be commutative and
associative"[1] - which means the answer to both the above is "no".

> 3. Is it possible to distinguish from the view server side under which
> version of the protocol its running? If not, could that be added?

I'm not aware of the view protocol version being formalized anywhere -
is the version of couchdb itself enough to meet your requirements?

[1] http://damienkatz.net/2008/02/incremental_map.html

Cheers,

Mark