couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: _changes timeout has a max of 60 seconds?
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 20:55:07 GMT

On 7 May 2010, at 20:30, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:

> I took the liberty to add this information to the wiki :)

100 Internets for you, my good sir :)

Cheers
Jan
--

> On 07.05.2010, at 18:51, Damien Katz wrote:
>
>> This is the intent.
>>
>> The max timeout value is set in the ini. The reason we do this is to prevent lots
of undetected dead connections using up resources, which can happen if the TCP connection
dies abnormally.

>> To get around the timeout, you up the changes_timeout in the ini:
>>
>> [httpd]
>> changes_timeout=#millisecs
>>
>> Or you have the server send a heartbeat. Then the connection can stay open indefinitely,
and the heartbeats cause dead connections to be detected by the server.

>> -Damien
>>

>> On May 6, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to use _changes with feed=continuous and a timeout greater than the
default - however, couch always uses the default of 60 seconds.  Timeouts smaller than the
default work as expected.  It seems get_changes_timeout/2 in couch_changes.erl is responsible
for this by selecting the smallest of the specified and default timeout.

>>> While is sounds reasonable to have a default of 60 seconds, there doesn't seem
to be an obvious case for also making that the max - *some* maximum might be reasonable, but
60 seconds seems pretty low.  Should I open a bug, or is this really the intent?  If the latter,
I'll update the wiki accordingly...