couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Genereux <mgene...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Idea for View & Bulk Insert combination for ad-hoc database changes
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:29:58 GMT
The more I think about what I was suggesting, the less I think it
needs to be transactional.  If I really cared, for example in the
update version, I would include a "pricing version" field that the
document's price has been increased to the new price and watch that
pricing version if I ran the update again.

I was really thinking of an easy way to create a bulk insert from a
view.  The "CouchDB way" is "it's not transactional across documents."
 This is fine with me and an understanding of this should be a
requirement of switching to CouchDB.  If someone doesn't get this, my
suggested feature is not the biggest of their problems if switching
from transactional SQL.  My workaround for this is currently looking
like a Ruby library that calls a view with all the logic love in
Javascript, tweaks the JSON into a bulk insert, and shoves the thing
back in.  (Batch processingTM coming soon.)  This is just an
inefficient way to do it.

As far as compaction, I don't want to sit around waiting for a
compaction on a massive database that is only modifying 5% of its
records.

Loving the feedback BTW!  Thank you everyone!