couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From till <t...@php.net>
Subject _compact on 0.10.0 <> availability
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:31:30 GMT
Hey devs,

I'm trying to compact a production database here (in hope to recover
some space), and made the following observations:

 * the set is 212+ million docs
 * currently 0.8 TB in size
 * the instance (XL) has 2 cores, one is idle, the other maybe utilized at 10%
 * memory - 2 of 15 GB taken, no spikes
 * io - well it's EBS :(

When I started _compact read operations slowed down (I'll give you 20
Mississippi's for something that loads instantly otherwise).
Everything "eventually" worked, but it slowed down tremendously.

I restarted the CouchDB process and everything is back to "snap".

Does anyone have any insight on why that is the case?

Till