couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Carl McDade <carlmcd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: (lack of) couchdb windows binaries
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 09:17:29 GMT
Hello,

I have been trying to use the Windows binaries of CouchDB but find that the
installer creates issues that never get mentioned. The first concern and one
that should be fixed is the distribution and linking of the Erlang binaries
in the install. There should always be an option to use the Erlang
installation already on the machine. Hard linking the install to the
packaged Erlang binaries will almost guarantee non-use of the installer and
a subsequent hunt for a way to compile CouchDB seperately.

My second concern is the lack of user defined paths for the installation.
This also will cause many to uninstall and wait.

What should be remembered is that Windows users that are installing CouchDB
want the same options that they would get when installing an RDMS. If these
are not available then they will move on and never give any input so quality
assurance is lost.

Hope I did not step on any toes here :)

Carl McDade

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@me.com> wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2010, at 22:36, Mark Hammond wrote:
>
> > *sigh* - only a few messages ago in this thread you said:
> >
> > > If you're happy preparing the binary, I am happy to call a vote on it.
> >
> > I did my end of the bargain, so would it be possible for you to do yours?
>
> No.
>
> I know nothing about them, have no way of testing them. Putting my name on
> them and putting them up for a vote is something that doesn't interest me
> much. I am struggling enough with my free time at the moment, the last thing
> I want to do is add yet more work to my plate.
>
> >>      * If and only if they are prepared from the source tarball released
> as 0.11.0
> >
> > They were - the only complication was that the installer build scripts
> (ie, the etc/windows directory) is not in the source archive for some reason
> I don't understand - however, this only impacts the generation of the
> installer itself, *not* the generation of the couchdb binaries.
>
> Is the binary artefact prepared directly from the tarball that is
> distributed to our users?
>
> Or are you preparing it from the source checked out from the repository?

Carl McDade
Webmaster - Drupal developer - PHP programmer
Stockholm Sweden
Drupal.se
Linkedin.com/drupalse