couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <>
Subject Re: Idea for View & Bulk Insert combination for ad-hoc database changes
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:49:08 GMT
Ad-hoc db-wide transformations suddenly strike me as a generic form of the
compactor. The compactor is an identity update function. It achieves a full
scan of the db by putting results in a new .couch file. It runs until it has
caught up to the tail of the current file (using a changes listener) and
then swaps the files. I believe a good patch here is one that creates a code
path the compactor can share.

The side bonus is that this implementation is transactional.

On Apr 19, 2010 2:51 PM, "Martin Murphy" <>

I agree.  Some format of bulk changes needs to be integrated into futon
before the masses will adopt.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Michael Genereux <>wrote:

> Thanks!  Okay, I need to reread "_changes" and the "all_or_nothing" on
> the bulk_api.  Also "Document Update Handlers" was way too complicated
> and wanted a record id for what I was looking to do.  I have a CouchDB
> database holding a log and I want to chuck old data easily.  Losing
> quick manipulation when switching to CouchDB seems like a barrier of
> entry.  I don't know of any situation where I haven't used SQL
> (database), sed (ascii document), or other ad hoc concepts to
> manipulate records/files/documents.
> Thanks for the feedback and it was expedient so thanks for that too.

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM, J Chris Anderson <>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 18...
Martin Murphy
(205) 910-0720