couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.0 Code Management
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:58:58 GMT
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi dev@,
>
> The next bigger thing up is our 1.0.0 release (yay!) and I'd like to get
> clarification on how we are going to use SVN for this. So far, we
> cut new releases from trunk, put them in a branch and kept that
> up with bug fixes.
>
> This time 0.11.x is meant to be the feature freeze for 1.0.0. Does that
> mean we are going to use the 0.11.x branch as the basis for 1.0.0 or
> do we want to keep using trunk?
>
> I'd be fine with whatever we decide here, but I do want to get consensus.
>
> A conservative view would mandate that we use the 0.11.x branch to add
> bug fixes until it is shaped into a form that we want to call 1.0.0 and then
> branch that into the 1.0.x branch that we keep for maintenance.
>
> This would allow us to keep using trunk for new features as usual. This
> also means, we have to maintain two to three branches (0.11.x, trunk and
> eventually 1.0.x). This is a lot of bookkeeping.
>
> One could argue that we should focus on 1.0.0 anyway and shouldn't add
> new features to trunk until we're done, but I don't want to prescribe for
> anyone what code to write when (that said, we can easily create another
> branch for new features that we can merge back into trunk after 1.0.0 or each
> developer can maintain a (semi-)-private git(hub) branch until after 1.0.0)
>
> If we keep using trunk for 1.0.0 we should revisit if any patches that landed
> in trunk after we branched 0.11.x are in fact meant for 1.0.0. I'm happy to
> produce a list if there are any concerns. If there no concerns I'm happy to
> ignore this point :)
>
> I think the easiest way forward (as in easiest for us developers) is to
> use trunk as the basis for 1.0 and agree to put new features elsewhere
> until we branch 1.0.x.
>
> But I'm happy to use 0.11.x as the basis and help managing all the
> merging that needs being done, if we decide to do that.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
> KISS

I am for a 1.0 branch too. Are all bugs marked already ? One thing
that would be good is to dispatch bugs without owners actually, so it
would help to not work on smth already handled somewhere in the
offline world.

 Btw I still can't change state of a bug, anyone can add to my user
rhe needed rights?

- benoit