couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: documentation of replication protocol?
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:33:34 GMT
J Chris Anderson wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2010, at 7:29 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
>> I've been looking, but can't seem to find any good documentation of the inter-node
protocol used for replication.

> As far as I know, the best source for documentation is the code, right now.

<snip>
> This is the hard coding (in Ruby) I had to add, to used the CouchDB replicator to pull
from the Booth server:

> http://github.com/jchris/booth/commit/2deff74e03838a6e7ef95b725c4342a08239a2b8#commitcomment-68685

aaarrrgggh......

I don't suppose anyone out there has scribbled down anything resembling
a sequence diagram or flowchart or list of bullet points or something
that summarizes the steps that happen, and the code that gets run when
POST /_replicate is invoked, or an ASN.1-like summary of the messages
that get exchanged between two couch instances during replication

right now, replication reminds me of the old Sidney Harris Cartoon,
"then a miracle occurs"
(http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php)