couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: overview of code organization?
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:16:51 GMT
On Apr 23, 2010, at 8:52 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been thinking of putting together some kind of broadcast mechanism for propagating
updates - but I gather that there's pretty much no documentation of the replication protocol
other than what's in the code itself.

> I wonder if anybody has pulled together, in any form, either:
>
> - notes on the replication process (step-by-step, what happens when replication is invoked
- what code modules are involved and so forth), and/or,

couch_rep_* modules handle replication.  How familiar are you with Erlang/OTP?  couch_rep_sup
is a supervisor for all replications, each of which has a couch_rep gen_server and changes_feed,
missing_revs, reader, and writer processes.  Each of those processes handles one part of the
"conversation" on the slide I pointed out to you two days ago.  Data flows from changes_feed
-> missing_revs -> reader -> writer.

> - an overview of the code for someone new to the project - what lives in what modules,
how they string together - anything that might shortcut having to read through every module
and make sense of things from scratch

> Anything - handwritten notes, slides from a code walkthrough, that kind of thing.

Hi Miles, not to sound critical, but I don't think such a broad request will get you very
far.  If you have specific questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Please, take a shot at reading the code for the part you're interested in.  If you come across
something you don't understand, send an email or join #couchdb on IRC.  Many of the devs hang
out there regularly and can walk you through the code.  Best,

Adam