couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: overview of code organization?
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:53:14 GMT

On 23 Apr 2010, at 13:52, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been thinking of putting together some kind of broadcast mechanism for propagating
updates - but I gather that there's pretty much no documentation of the replication protocol
other than what's in the code itself.

> I wonder if anybody has pulled together, in any form, either:
>
> - notes on the replication process (step-by-step, what happens when replication is invoked
- what code modules are involved and so forth), and/or,

I found it helpful in the past to set the CouchDB log level to debug, start replication and
watch the logs on both ends. It shows you which HTTP requests are made and some more info.

Not that this is a conclusive answer and I welcome your request for better internal docs.
We're just not there yet. That said, any help is appreciated :)

Cheers
Jan
--

> - an overview of the code for someone new to the project - what lives in what modules,
how they string together - anything that might shortcut having to read through every module
and make sense of things from scratch