couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Juhani Ränkimies <juh...@juranki.com>
Subject Re: (lack of) couchdb windows binaries
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 05:26:57 GMT
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Mark Hammond <skippy.hammond@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/03/2010 5:00 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>> On 30 Mar 2010, at 01:58, Mark Hammond wrote:
>>
>>> I understand that - however, the Windows issues are well known,
>>> have existed forever and has never before been raised as a blocker
>>> for a windows binary.  If I knew it would be considered as such I
>>> would not have invested any further efforts in Windows binaries
>>> until the windows issues were resolved.
>>
>> If you're happy preparing the binary, I am happy to call a vote on
>> it.
>
> Great - it can be found at http://people.apache.org/~mhammond/dist/0.11.0/

This is a relief. Thank you. I was rather worried for a while.

Providing binaries is a critical for CouchDB adoption on windows. And
the build should definitely be part of the release process, IMO.
Otherwise there's a risk of getting stuck in a chicken and egg
situation: crippling bugs -> don't release -> not enough users
complaining about the bugs -> nobody fixes the bugs.

Cheers!
-juhani