couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <djc.ocht...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Wiki / Documentation
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:15:51 GMT
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 20:36, Sebastian Cohnen
<sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com> wrote:
> but back to topic: MoinMoin sucks! It's unbelievably slow, throws 500s all the time and
don't forget the syntax - pure hell when you seriously want to work with it. I've talked with
Jan and he has been recently thinking of a replacement. As a first step we want to suggest
using Markdown and git from now on - at least for documentation purposes. Once we (or better
I) have enough translated from MoinMoin to Markdown we could start linking from the wiki to
Github (as it renders markdown nicely for you). We think that this approach is likely to work
best as an interim solution before we have a ass-kickin' couch-wiki solution. Once that's
done, we can easily import the markdown stuff. or maybe markdown+git works so well, so that
it stays the preferred way - who knows? ;)

Well, we use MoinMoin for Mercurial; it's not slow and doesn't throw
500s, though. I would suggest that that has to do with Apache's
specific setup/infra.

> What do you think? You can ping me on IRC (tisba) anytime, but the ml should be the place,
where the discussion takes place (so that everyone can participate).

I also in the past added some things/structure to the wiki, but I
agree that it lacks structure and doesn't always work well if you're
looking for something. Personally, I rather like Sphinx, the package
that Python (and many Python packages) use for their docs. On the
other hand, a wiki has a much lower bar for contribution. I don't
think Markdown or reST (which Sphinx uses) are fundamentally better
than the wiki markup.

Yes, the wiki needs more maintenance, but no, I don't think the
initial impulse to start over with some proprietary system wil result
in better docs anytime soon.

Cheers,

Dirkjan