couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: default vhost config option
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:15:19 GMT
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Like discussed on irc, i would propose to add a default vhost option to couchdb:
>
> - it solves problem when someone connect to CouchDB whithout an host header
> - it allows someone to not expose whole api of CouchDB using the rewriter.

As long as we are discussing security, we should think about this:
It'd be nice to be able to "sandbox" _design documents to a given
database (the one they are hosted in.) One way to do this is with a
vhost rule that says mydb.mycouch.com may only make requests within
/mydb/

How to implement this is a bit tougher. Do we do path-based
restrictions (after all rewrite rules have been applied)? Do we
restrict the rewriter's ability to use ../../.. constructs so that it
must stay within it's own database?

This stuff is crucial for security, as people will be replicating
around random applications, and we don't want some spyware app to have
access to the database which hosts your financial information.

Thoughts?

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net