couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test suite blocking release
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:06:35 GMT
>> I don't have a dog in this fight (.ie. a paying customer) so this failure doesn't
bother me. With respect to policy, given the various bogocities of browsers, I'd recommend
something like these CLI tests plus the etaps ought to be the "official"  tests for vetting,
and part of the build

> Not that I disagree, but part (most?) of the appeal of the browser based tests are that
they run in a real-world client instead of the lab that is couchjs+http :)

The tests in Futon should be treated just as the tests for any other
client library: a way to check the client. Instead we treat them as
75% of the tests for the CouchDB implementation. That's bad. Its like
surgery with pruning shears. I don't know if the JS CLI runner is the
way forward or not, or some other scripting language. But there should
be a clear separation between what goes into Futon and what doesn't
based on the "What are we trying to test?" question.

On the flip side, I also think that the Futon tests would be a great
place to 'document' the entire API. Then they could double as a "this
browser is compatible with CouchDB" screen as well as a "this server
is Couch-y" regardless of what the actual implementation is.

Paul