couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Test suite blocking release
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:43:21 GMT
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2010, at 12:50, Noah Slater wrote:
>

>> On 19 Mar 2010, at 17:11, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>
>>> We want to test the CouchDB code, not the browser's HTTP handling.
>>
>> Sure, but as one of CouchDB's primary interfaces is the browser, it seems to makes
sense that we would want to test how this works. Testing from the browser allows us to test
for and catch problems introduced by caching, etc - which is what our real world users would
be running into.

>> Unless I'm missing something?
>
> I fully agree, but we should have a separate browser interaction
> suite for that. The test suite is a very untypical browser client and
> doesn't really test real-world browser use-cases.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

+a bajillion.

I think its important to maintain *some* tests in the browser to test
its ability to use CouchDB as a client, but we should put more work
into separating API tests and core tests.

Also, Zed Shaw has a very informative (and colorful) description of
confounding factors [1]. Its about two thirds of the way down under a
heading of "Confounding, Confounding, Confounding."

http://www.zedshaw.com/essays/programmer_stats.html