couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: (lack of) couchdb windows binaries
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:42:01 GMT

On 29 Mar 2010, at 16:15, Mark Hammond wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Chatting on IRC with a few devs, the following issues were (belatedly) raised regarding
Windows support for couchdb - specifically, the lack of a couchdb 0.11 release for Windows.

> * The test suite does not pass on Windows due to issues compacting and deleting databases
and views.  There was a suggestion we can't have an "official" release where the tests fail.
 While a fix for this is in the pipeline, it isn't in 0.11.  While this has been true since
0.10 and all throughout the earlier discussions about an official Windows release, it appears
to now be a show-stopper.

> * I was on 10 days vacation recently.  Even though the 0.11 release process took many
weeks, I was in email contact for the entire time and I returned from vacation the same day
the vote results were announced, it was felt that this was enough to cause Windows to be dropped
from the 0.11 voting procedure.  Given the delays already encountered in this release, I'm
disappointed this position was taken, but cest-la-vie.

We voted on releasing the source tarball for what we call 0.11.0. There is nothing stopping
us from voting on a release binary that we call 0.11.0. Voting happens on artefacts, not release
numbers. We can have an official 0.11 release (modulo the other issues) just fine. I don't
think there is anything to be disappointed about (feel free free to keep it up :) and I hope
you don't feel bad now.

Your CouchDB work on Windows is greatly appreciated and I think we should ship a 0.11.0 Windows
binary as soon as we can.

Now since windows support will require a patch to 0.11.0, I'd propose to call the windows
release 0.11.1 that we ship along with a source release.

> * The couchdb windows builds includes non ASF binaries - for example, binaries for erlang
itself are included, and even though most are built locally as part of the release process,
there was a concern about legal issues in providing such binaries.  IANAL and have no desire
to play on one TV, so I have no capability of either assessing nor resolving this.

If anyone from the ASF could shed light on this, that'd be great :) — If not, can anyone
take this to legal-discuss@?

> Jan asked me to send a note to the -dev list on these issues which I am dutifully doing.
 I don't think there is anything I can personally do to help resolve any these issues, so
I hope someone here can help to get a Windows installer back on track.  The last issue mentioned
is of particular concern to me - if there are any legal issues around this, the same legal
issues presumably apply to me personally, which implies it would be prudent for me to stop
creating couchdb binary snapshots (and also to remove the old existing ones) until it is resolved.

Cheers Mark!
Jan