couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Test suite errors
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:41:09 GMT

> I got the error included below this morning, and when I ran it again, there was no error.

> /tmp/couchdb/0.11.0/test/etap/090-task-status.................ok
> /tmp/couchdb/0.11.0/test/etap/100-ref-counter.................FAILED test 8

I looked into this random fail a bit and it may be a real issue to consider. couch_ref_counter
uses process_info in the count function to compute the number of pids referring to the given
one, rather than interrogating the number of referrers being maintained in the state of the
gen_servers. This diff could explain the apparent race condition that caused this fail (which
doesn't reproduce on my box). From the who_calls trace it looks ok and I surmise the reason
process_info is used is to handle the case where a Pid dies in the forest and no one accounts
for it, throwing off the count, whereas process_info presumably never lies.