couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "Troubleshooting" by NoahSlater
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 18:09:08 GMT
Unless additional files have been added to the source tree that are installed, then yes, absolutely.
I stand by my assertion that as the section included no explanation with it, and concluded
in the un-caveat-ed advice to blow away everything on your system, I had severe doubts about
the reliability of the text.

On 9 Mar 2010, at 16:54, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> In addition, would a r12345 source tree know how to `make uninstall` a r12344 install
tree? (since the rev is part of the directories in question). If not, `make uninstall` doesn't
handle this case.

> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

> On 9 Mar 2010, at 08:49, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> Can you then please update the information instead of deleting it? :)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --
>> On 9 Mar 2010, at 08:07, Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>>> It looks wrong. If people want to uninstall CouchDB, they should use the "uninstall"
target with make. Instructions asking them to DELETE everything are very irresponsible. Unless
the user thinks hard about that that command is about to do, they will loose all the data
in their databases.

rid of everything old.  If you get strange errors and all but the simplest actions appear
to be broken, and especially if you are seeing {"error":"bad_request","reason":"invalid UTF-8
JSON"} type of errors in Futon, then you should try something like the following: