couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Wiki / Documentation
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2010 08:11:12 GMT

On Mar 6, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2010, at 00:38, Mikeal Rogers wrote:
>
>> We can provide the same providence and copyright assurances outside of
>> JIRA. It's a checkbox, it's not hard.
>
> I agree. I don't want to be misunderstood as fighting against the initiative of improving
our documentation. I just want to make sure we do it in a way that embraces our parent organisation.
And as far as I know, and I am incorrect rather frequently, that involves hosting whatever
we use on ASF infrastructure, and taking the proper measures to make sure that what is produced
is free for the community to use, where free is the ASF's definition of free. If we can satisfy
that, and improve our documentation, it will have my full support. However, just creating
a new repository on Github and linking to it from our site is not satisfactory.

I think the short run, putting together an informal Markdown repository of docs or proto-docs
would be cool. I don't care where it live but we'll need to get an ASF Zone for a project
CouchDB instance. I guess this means Damien has to send an email to infra.

It's simple to have CouchDB render Markdown. After 0.11 is out and we launch the project CouchDB
instance, I'm sure there are a ton of CouchApps we could run it on that can handle Markdown.

Under ASF guidelines I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about CLAs for documentation contributors.
Let's get the barrier to entry for new documenters as low as possible.

Chris