couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB Wiki / Documentation
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:24:24 GMT

On 5 Mar 2010, at 20:15, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:

> I don't think Markdown or reST (which Sphinx uses) are fundamentally better
> than the wiki markup.

The only two things any "plain text" HTML syntax adds are:

	* An enforced set of elements a user can add

	* Significant newlines

The rest is invariably a lossy and incomplete reformulation of HTML into a "plain text" alternative.

The elephant in the room: HTML is already plain text, well known, and damn simple.

We're moving the CouchDB book from a "plain text" format to HTML for precisely these reason.
Not only did we have to constantly look up anything more advanced than a paragraph or hyperlink,
there were all kinds of ugly edge cases where some blockquote example had a backtick that
flipped some rendering flag and clobbered the rest of the line.

Never again.