couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Test suite blocking release
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:25:55 GMT

On 19 Mar 2010, at 18:07, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

to makes sense that we would want to test how this works. Testing from the browser allows
us to test for and catch problems introduced by caching, etc - which is what our real world
users would be running into.

>>> I fully agree, but we should have a separate browser interaction
>>> suite for that. The test suite is a very untypical browser client and
>>> doesn't really test real-world browser use-cases.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Jan
>>> --
>>
>> +a bajillion.
>>

> I prefer the browser tests because I'm much happier with JavaScript.

I'm not saying we should get rid of the browser tests. But intermittent errors
in the current test suite are not to be worried about to block a release.

If we want proper browser client testing, we'd need an additional test suite
that covers common and uncommon use-cases. I believe the current test
suite is as untypical as a browser client can be.

Cheers
Jan