couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Lena Herrmann <l...@zeromail.org>
Subject Testsuite for HTTP api: questions
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:45:05 GMT
Hi!

I'm in the middle of writing a testsuite for the CouchDB HTTP API (to be
precise, for couch.js and jquery.couch.js, located in share/www/script).
After that, a documentation for this API will follow.

For a lot of those methods I don't know what they do and how they work.
All the things I can't figure out by looking at the code or google I
will ask HERE. So be prepared for lots of mails with lots of annoying
questions about details! :)

You can follow my work here:
http://github.com/lenalena/couchdb/tree/testsuite

I chose to write the tests in JSpec, which is a fairly new JS testing
framework, with a RSpec like syntax. Read more about JSpec here:
http://jspec.info/

If you want to run the testsuite, clone the project, compile and run in
dev mode, and browse to this site:
http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/spec/run.html
It should work in at least Firefox >= 3.6 and Safari >= 4.0.4.

All comments welcome!

---------------------------------

Now to the first bunch of questions:

* Many couch.js methods, like "save" in line 48 for example, take an
"options" hash that goes into the request headers. What different kinds
of options are there for the requestHeaders? I only found out about
"X-Couch-Full-Commit". What does "X-Couch-Persist" do? Are there any
more options?

* When I test generated UUIDs, at the moment I just test them to have a
specific length (32 chars), revisions ought to have 34 chars. Is this an
okay approach, or is this length likely to change at some point?

* ensureFullCommit - this method only changes the setting on my db
instance, correct? Can I test the db if this setting has been made?
(with something like db.full_commit == true ...)

* Was exactly does ensure_full_commit do, once set? There has to be a
definitions somewhere out there ...

Optional stuff:

* Feedback for the spec ".save should save the document with a number as
ID" - I stumbled upon that, I don't know if we want this or not, I think
it would be good.

* If we have a method "deleteDocAttachment", what about
"addDocAttachment" and "openDocAttachment"? For the test I had to
replace those - I don't know if they would be needed in production too,
they just seem to miss.

If you can help me out with links, explanations or your opinion, please do!

Cheers, Lena