couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "Troubleshooting" by NoahSlater
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 18:35:34 GMT
Nope, it won't do. So we probably need a better tip here. I admit I may have been a little
hasty. It was early morning, and I'd not had my first coffee. But if I had, I would have likely
spit it out again in surprise at the command published. Hehe.

On 9 Mar 2010, at 18:28, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> The thing is that the directories the couchdb and mochiweb .beam files are in have the
current revision number in them. If you install CouchDB twice from source with a different
rev, you end up with e.g. couchdb-0.9.1 and couchdb-0.10.0. Now the erlang library loader
treats version numbers as float.int instead of int.int.int and loads the 0.9.1 couchdb and
the 0.10.0 mochiweb together in one "app". This causes the error. Removing the prior installation
and restarting CouchDB solves the problem.

> Does `make uninstall` (in the 0.10.0 tree) remove the couchdb-0.9.1 directory?
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

> On 9 Mar 2010, at 10:09, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> Unless additional files have been added to the source tree that are installed, then
yes, absolutely. I stand by my assertion that as the section included no explanation with
it, and concluded in the un-caveat-ed advice to blow away everything on your system, I had
severe doubts about the reliability of the text.

>> On 9 Mar 2010, at 16:54, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>
>>> In addition, would a r12345 source tree know how to `make uninstall` a r12344
install tree? (since the rev is part of the directories in question). If not, `make uninstall`
doesn't handle this case.

>>> Cheers
>>> Jan
>>> --

the "uninstall" target with make. Instructions asking them to DELETE everything are very irresponsible.
Unless the user thinks hard about that that command is about to do, they will loose all the
data in their databases.

really get rid of everything old.  If you get strange errors and all but the simplest actions
appear to be broken, and especially if you are seeing {"error":"bad_request","reason":"invalid
UTF-8 JSON"} type of errors in Futon, then you should try something like the following:
and the resolution is discussed