couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@me.com>
Subject Re: (lack of) couchdb windows binaries
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:44:22 GMT

On 30 Mar 2010, at 00:15, Mark Hammond wrote:

> * The test suite does not pass on Windows due to issues compacting and deleting databases
and views.  There was a suggestion we can't have an "official" release where the tests fail.
 While a fix for this is in the pipeline, it isn't in 0.11.  While this has been true since
0.10 and all throughout the earlier discussions about an official Windows release, it appears
to now be a show-stopper.

The test suite forms a contract between ourselves, and our users. If they are failing, then
they are largely useless for that purpose. I regard failing tests to be blockers for the release.
If that means that we remove a test until we can get it to pass, then so be it.

> * I was on 10 days vacation recently.  Even though the 0.11 release process took many
weeks, I was in email contact for the entire time and I returned from vacation the same day
the vote results were announced, it was felt that this was enough to cause Windows to be dropped
from the 0.11 voting procedure.  Given the delays already encountered in this release, I'm
disappointed this position was taken, but cest-la-vie.

Delays should not beget delays.

I felt that given the circumstances, 0.11 could be the release that lets Windows support "simmer"
in the wild. You will notice that the documentation included now mentions Windows as a first
class platform for the software. There are a number of issues with the Windows build that
ideally need fixing, and I created a ticket for one of them. It is my hope that by the time
of the next release, we may be in the position to include the Windows binaries.

> * The couchdb windows builds includes non ASF binaries - for example, binaries for erlang
itself are included, and even though most are built locally as part of the release process,
there was a concern about legal issues in providing such binaries.  IANAL and have no desire
to play on one TV, so I have no capability of either assessing nor resolving this.

This needs to be brought up on legal. Would you do the honours?

> I don't think there is anything I can personally do to help resolve any these issues,
so I hope someone here can help to get a Windows installer back on track.

It hasn't faltered! This release is the most Windows-y of them all. We just have to keep on
keeping on! Please check JIRA for Windows related bugs, and see how many we can fix before
the next release is proposed. I have no problem including the Windows binaries, as long as
legal approves. The timing of your holiday was unfortunate, and as I already mentioned, I
think a little bit of simmering might help. Feel free to advertise the availability in whatever
medium you think will get the biggest audience. The more eyeballs the better.

> The last issue mentioned is of particular concern to me - if there are any legal issues
around this, the same legal issues presumably apply to me personally, which implies it would
be prudent for me to stop creating couchdb binary snapshots (and also to remove the old existing
ones) until it is resolved.

Bring up the issue on legal, and see what they say.