couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Test suite blocking release
Date Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:24:34 GMT

On Mar 21, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2010, at 12:10, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> What are the CLI tests, if not the etap tests? Are they integrated into the build
system?

> The CLI tests are the same as the browser tests, just run through our couchjs binary
> that has custom HTTP extensions to make the xhr work. At this point I don't think it
> is reliable enough to mimic browser behaviour and that we shouldn't use it for vetting
> the state of the code.

This is likely true, but in this particular case I think there's a bug in the changes code
(that I'm trying to dig out). It's nice that it works on your machine but on my machine, using
FF, it fails often enough. Moreover it's been around for a long time now so I figure it's
worth figuring out.

I don't have a dog in this fight (.ie. a paying customer) so this failure doesn't bother me.
With respect to policy, given the various bogocities of browsers, I'd recommend something
like these CLI tests plus the etaps ought to be the "official"  tests for vetting, and part
of the build

> It is very useful when developing new code to not have to switch to and reload the
> browser over and over again.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

If some

>>> I don't consider the CLI tests as part of the official test suite just yet.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Jan
>>> --

in the test. I tried putting a sleep in with no luck. If my understanding of the JS is correct,
CouchDB is supposed to be synchronous so it's not timing.

and conflicts but in this call the filter bop will not apply to the doc {a:1} so I'm not sure
what this delete prior to the call is about. Anyway I can make it fail in the debugger so
perhaps I can find the root cause.