couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@gmail.com>
Subject associating UUIDs to DBs
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 18:58:29 GMT
Hi everybody,

Recently there was a suggestion at #couchdb, involving me, Chris Anderson
and Adam Kocoloski, about the possibility of adding UUIDs to a DB.

It appeared in the context of a future _replications DB (which would store
history about replication sessions, etc). It would not be desirable to
replicate this DB into other nodes, otherwise it would mess up with their
replication session history.

It might not be desirable to accidentally replicate other system related DBs
or user DBs (for some app specific reason).
Then Chris suggested the possibility of adding a UUID to the DB. This UUID
would be listed when doing a GET /somedb.

At that moment I had to run and had no time to pose questions about this
feature.
I would like to understand it, have 1 or 2 example use cases, and figure out
how it would impact the current code base, and code it.

What I am thinking about is that a source DB which has a UUID associated
with it, can not be replicated into a target DB unless the replication
objects specifies the source's UUID.

Example, for a DB testdb with UUID=qwerty

POST /_replicate/
{ "source": "testdb", "target": "testdb_copy"}'

Would fail, while doing:

POST /_replicate/
{ "source":  "testdb",  "source_uuid":  "qwerty",  "target":  "testdb_copy"
}

To create a DB with a UUID, we would just use a query parameter to specifiy
it, or use a boolean parameter to let couch generate it, for example. If
none of these query parameters is given, the UUID is simply not generated.

Now, I might have not understood completely what Chris and Adam have in
mind, that's why I would like to collect some feedback from any of you.
I think I'm missing something from the big picture.

best regards,

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com