couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Virtual Hosts
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:23:18 GMT
Hi dev@,

I added virtual host handling to CouchDB. I have a Github branch for you to check out:

  http://github.com/janl/couchdb/commits/vhosts

Alternatively, here's a full diff including etap tests:

  http://www.friendpaste.com/6B5dQU1fb27boOvxhm2nhf

From local.ini:

; To enable Virtual Hosts in CouchDB, add a vhost = path directive. All requests to
; the Virual Host will be redirected to the path. In the example below all requests
; to http://example.com/ are redirected to /database.
; If you run CouchDB on a specific port, include the port number in the vhost:
; example.com:5984 = /database

[vhosts]
;example.com = /database/

In combination with Benoit's rewriter, this allows you to create virtual hosts with
really pretty URLs.

The CouchDB default behaviour isn't changed. CouchDB simply inspects a
request's `Host:` header and maps it against any defined virtual hosts. If a
match is found, CouchDB will make an internal redirect much like the rewriter.

I did a stupid A/B test with Apache Bench and couldn't see any performance
degradation. Feel free to prove me wrong :)

I'd like to commit this to trunk and also backport to 0.11. What do you think?

Thanks for you feedback.

Cheers
Jan