couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB defaults
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 20:31:13 GMT

On 4 Feb 2010, at 20:23, till wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>> Nope, I understand what you want, I just don't know if it's a good idea.
>>
>> So my thought experiment was to wonder if we'd do the same for the other configuration
files.

>> As in, where is the line drawn?
>
> IMHO, there doesn't have to be a line drawn anywhere. If people
> request more options, why not provide them? Unless there's a good
> reason not to.

Every additional option adds cognitive burden to:

	* Maintaining the configure.ac script

	* Understanding the output from ./configure --help

So I would argue that we need to think about where to draw the line here.

Note, I've not expressed an opinion either way whether this crosses whatever line may exist.