couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:39:47 GMT

On Feb 25, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2010, at 04:43, Robert Newson wrote:
>
>> I second this emotion. :)
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> See my last comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-597
>>>
>>> I would <3 <3 <3 to see this make it.
>

> There's a ton of patches I'd like to see in CouchDB, but we'll never release anything
> if don't make a cut somewhere. 0.11 has been in the making for 9 months now and
> really needs to get out there so we can find and fix all the bugs that users find so
> 1.0 becomes a grand release.
>
> If you are concerned that "yourfavouritepatch" doesn't make it into 1.0: After 0.11
> is released we'll only fix bugs in that branch and eventually cut 1.0 from it. If you
> think a new feature should be in 1.0 that is not in 0.11, call for a vote for that
> patch. Be prepared that it should be simple enough and should have tests and
> not break anything. If "yourfavouritepatch" is a bugfix, there's no need for a vote
> for a commit.

Agreed.

I'd further say that I consider the replicator to be the one place I'm happy to see enhancements
introduced between 0.11 and 1.0. The replicator is decoupled from the rest of CouchDB, so
changes here aren't likely to introduce instabilities.

I'd also be fine to see enhancements to Futon made between 0.11 and 1.0. Again, nothing here
is likely to negatively impact active CouchDB users, or otherwise cause instabilities.

So really all of the patches brought up in the last few hours are good candidates for 1.0.

Chris