couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Goodall <matt.good...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.11.x futon storage
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:35:12 GMT
On 23 February 2010 16:20, Christopher Lenz <cmlenz@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> On 23.02.2010, at 14:25, Matt Goodall wrote:
> > 2. Implicit type conversion. Doc attribute values are now implicitly
> > converted to some type of Futon's choosing. I'm guessing this is
> deliberate
> > but, IMHO, it's just awful. It's easy to come up with contrived examples,
> > e.g. try changing "1" to 1 or changing "[]" to "[100]", but I managed to
> end
> > up with a {} getting stored as a string somehow (although I can't repeat
> it
> > again) and it broke my application.
>
> The motivation for this was to make editing text less painful. Not having
> to escape quotes and line breaks means it's now actually possible to edit
> fields containing longer strings without pulling your hair out.
>
> The implementation is simple: Anything that doesn't parse as valid JSON is
> automatically treated as a string. I'm not going to claim that that this
> approach is perfect, and there are certainly cases where it's unexpected or
> annoying.
>
> Just saying that IMHO there is a pretty large benefit to this approach when
> trying to edit text fields.

OK, that's a good point. I don't dump blocks of text into couchdb often so I
hadn't considered that.

I'm still not sure how I managed to accidentally convert {} to "{}" but it
had me totally confused. I'd just made a change to the application code and
I normally trust CouchDB a lot more than me ;-).

I'm running 0.11.x on my machines now so I'll see how I get on. It certainly
caused me some surprise and pain so far but perhaps I was just unlucky.

- Matt