couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Goodall <matt.good...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.11.x futon storage
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:41:26 GMT
On 23 February 2010 13:25, Matt Goodall <matt.goodall@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not really sure if this is a dev or user questions as it's for an
> unreleased version, but I have a couple of problems with Futon in the 0.11.x
> branch:
>
> 1. futon.storage. It isn't storing anything for me using
> http://localhost:5984/. No cookies are set anymore. Most noticeable is
> that the recent databases list is not updated and the key
> ascending/descending flag for views is not remembered. I think this is
> because Storage is including 'domain=localhost' but I'm not sure if dropping
> it will cause any problem and haven't had chance to play yet.

It is the domain=localhost that is causing the problem.

The cookie domain was added when the cookie names were prefixed with the
port to allow multiple futons on the same server to have different defaults.
However, I don't think the domain is needed unless there's some
browser compatibility thing going on.

The usual reason for setting the cookie's domain is to allow the cookie to
travel between domains with a common parent domain. I can't think of a
reason why Futon currently needs that capability and there's no
configuration to say what cookie domain to use, it just uses
location.hostname.

So, I think the domain can be removed from the cookie completely. It
certainly seems to work for Chromium, Firefox and Opera on localhost,
127.0.0.1 and wibble.wobble.com. Can't test on IE.

Ticket on its way shortly.

- Matt