couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: upgrading to json2.js
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 04:08:08 GMT
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
>> It's well known that in order to take advantage of native JSON
>> libraries in the newest Mozilla JavaScript VMs, we'll need to change
>> our handling of 'undefined' in the toJSON() routine.
>>
>> I propose we make this change now, by replacing our current JSON
>> handling with json2.js, the current reference implementation.
>>
>> I've started the work here:
>>
>> http://github.com/jchris/couchdb/tree/json2
>
> I've update my json2 branch to reflect my latest commits to trunk.

I've committed this change to CouchDB. It will appear in the 0.11
release. From the commit message:

 Replace the old JavaScript query server JSON library with json2.js

    This change makes us interoperate better with other JSON
implementations. It also means we can use the native JSON handlers in
JavaScript runtimes that support them.

    There are some potential breaking changes for apps that depend on
Couch blowing up on 'undefined'. json2.js serializes undefined as
'null' instead of crashing.

    This change will also effect people using E4X, as you can't just
return an XML object and have it serialized to a string for you.
Calling .toXMLString() on these is what you need to do here.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Anderson