couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.9 -> 0.10 view migration
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 00:08:20 GMT
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Joshua Bronson <jabronson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Joshua Bronson <jabronson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> we're going to give
>> http://github.com/kocolosk/couchdb/tree/0.9.2-and-view-compaction a shot
>>

> Uh oh, I just installed this branch, took down our system couch (0.9.0), got
> 0.9.2-and-view-compaction up and running (pointing at our live data), and
> browsed to a view in Futon, but no results. I checked the status page and
> the view group indexer is running. I expected to still be able to access the
> uncompacted views while couch was writing out the compacted ones. Did I
> misunderstand, Adam?

The view group indexer shouldn't be running during compaction. It
sounds like something triggered a full view update.

It's hard to know what would do that from here (and without digging
into the sources).

If you still have that 0.10.0 replica laying around you might do well
to pick it back up. Once those db headers are upgraded you *might* be
able to go back down but not without writing custom code. (Did it
myself between 0.10 and a dev branch the other day.)

I didn't realize you were working with such big data that you couldn't
take backups.

We should have some documentation about how to do these tricky upgrades safely.

Let us know if we can help any more.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net