couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Desktopcouch, per-user instances of CouchDB
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:18:02 GMT
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Elliot Murphy <elliot@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In Debian there is a debate about whether to accept one of the
> packaging changes that was made to CouchDB in Ubuntu: splitting the
> init script into a package called couchdb, and the rest of the binary
> files into a package called couchdb-bin. This allows Ubuntu to avoid
> the system-wide CouchDB being started during boot of a default
> desktop/netbook install, while still allowing Ubuntu One to make use
> of per-user CouchDB instances. I am seeing an argument claiming that
> CouchDB development "does not support" per-user couchdb instances, and
> claims that the work done in Ubuntu to allow per-user instances of
> CouchDB to be started on demand without ever starting a system-wide
> CouchDB instance is a fork. I am baffled by the claim, but it
> persists.

I'm very happy that Ubuntu One is using CouchDB.

I don't know enough about Debian packaging to understand that issue.
It seems to me that `sudo apt-get install couchdb` should get me a
CouchDB running on port 5984. It sounds like this is what you
describe.

On a side note, I've heard a lot of people ask how to get to the Couch
that is running on their Ubuntu machine. I think making this dead
simple will help dispel any notions of a fork (and encourage app
development).

I think per-user CouchDB's are a good idea. I'd like to see them
implemented within Erlang, based on the Host header like httpd's
name-based vhosts.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson