couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: authentication cleanup
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:55:29 GMT
On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Sam Bisbee <sbisbee@computervip.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 08:31:19AM -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Just tested it, admin creation seem to work during the test I've done
>> > at least admin user is created, for the rest I don't know, am not sure
>> > yet what could be done with the changes, I need to have a closer look
>> > in the code for it. There is a bug you mentioned in another mail with
>> > tests, if we are loggged out, test fails and logically tests requiring
>> > auth failed, to follow one of your proposal, I think we should add a
>> > warning on top of tests saying that an admin user exists and tests
>> > will fail; something like it.
>>
>> I was thinking we could even add some code which loads the admin
>> config into a cookie, and then clears admins. When the tests are done
>> it can re-configure the admins.
>
> This scares me: if the browser/client crashes while the tests are running, then
> you've likely lost your admin config. Also, you're leaving yourself unprotected
> for the length of the tests if it's a live system (doesn't even have to be
> production, just on the 'net).

Generally, you shouldn't run the tests on a production system anyway.
The tests are constantly changing the admin config as they run anyway
(sometimes leaving the Couch wide open), so this is pretty much the
only option.

Current trunk has failing tests when Couch isn't in admin party mode.
So putting the warning and the option to temporarily remove admins
before running tests is a step in the right direction. I think cookie
storage for admin config is robust enough for the cases where someone
would think of using it... it's essentially a convenience.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net