couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Map/Reduce patent granted
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:21:58 GMT
Yeah, if they can show you've read the patent they get "willful
infringement damages" and other bits. As a FOSS I've been trained to
never ever read patents. The M/R one just kinda sprung up and caught
me like a deer in headlights.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Daniel Truemper
<truemped@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> see also Doug Cutting's comment in the Mahout project [1]:
>
>> > you or any other apache guy are NOT qualified to judge if a patent applies
>> +1, nor whether its owner objects to your use of any patent.
>>
>> I would generally discourage folks from doing patent research when implementing Apache
code. It is usually both a waste of time and dangerous, since it opens you to the possibility
of treble damages. In particular, if you are involved in patching this issue, please do not
read the above cited patent.

>> A patent holder may tell us if they believe we have infringed their patents. We should
generally wait for that event, and not pro-actively seek permission.

> The Hadoop people probably don't care as well [2]. There is IBM and Yahoo and many others
using it that have the money for other suits to oppose this patent. If there were a case I
doubt the patent would withstand the fact that map and reduce are around for some time now
and that this really is nothing new...