couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r897509 - /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb/default.ini.tpl.in
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:50:46 GMT
Bob's description is exactly my understanding as well. Though I think
we came to the same conclusion together on IRC if memory serves, so
this may just be a confirmation that we can both remember a
conversation from a few months ago.

Pau

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Robert Dionne
<dionne@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
> I don't think so, perhaps I misspoke. What I meant was the comment, "a balancing condition",
implied that it was balanced and was merely missing a particular case. It's not balanced in
the textbook sense of having an order n that determines lower and upper bounds on the number
of nodes at each level.

> The amount of branching is determined by a "chunkify" function that write out chunks
of a constant size and so will depend on the key size of kv nodes and the reductions for the
kp nodes.

> So when deletions occur it will be unbalanced in the sense that compaction results in
a different b-tree which requires the reductions to be computed again. I believe the intent
of #224 is that if the b-tree is balanced in the text book sense that compaction can just
be a copy of the nodes.

> I haven't looked at this in some time, and it requires a very detailed analysis to see
if it might in fact be improved, particularly with respect to views. I'd love to hear Damien's
or Jan's or Paul's opinion on this. When I looked at this last summer I noted there been considerable
research in trees used in databases in recent years.